This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Overseas Patients

If you are newly resident in the UK you should register with a General Practice that is near to your home. It is best to do this as soon as possible after you arrive, rather than waiting until you are unwell.

Go to the Registration page to find out how to register.

Your general practitioner (GP) will usually be the first point of contact if you are in need of healthcare. If your GP thinks it is necessary he or she will refer you for tests (e.g. x-rays or scans) or to specialist services.

GPs work alongside Practice Nurses who provide services including management of long-term health conditions (e.g. asthma or diabetes); cervical screening; blood tests; vaccinations and treatment of minor illness and injuries.

To see a GP or Practice Nurse you will usually need an appointment. Go to the Appointments page to find out how to book.

If you cannot attend your appointment it is very important that you phone us to cancel so that we can offer it to someone else. 

If you need to be seen urgently you may attend our open surgery, which runs every morning, Monday – Friday. You do not need an appointment for open surgery. 

You can also get advice about minor ailments from your local pharmacy.

If you need urgent medical help when the surgery is closed phone NHS 24 on 111.

In a life-threatening emergency you should phone 999 for an ambulance.

Click on the links below for information about entitlement to NHS services in various languages

Healthcare for Asylum Seekers and Refugees

england English
egypt Arabic



Healthcare for people coming to Scotland to study


Healthcare for people coming to Scotland to work




Healthcare in Scotland for holiday makers from overseas


This information is available in other languages and in large print on the NHS Inform website.

Minority Ethnic Health Inclusion Service (MEHIS)

MEHIS aims to improve the health and wellbeing of BME and refugee communities in Lothian.  MEHIS can support you to access health services and ensure that you have the information you need about your healthcare.  You can contact MEHIS by phoning 0131 536 9544 or emailing

Multi Cultural Family Base (MCFB)

MCFB work with children and families who are experiencing difficulties, including housing or financial problems, emotional problems and dealing with discrimination.  For more information click here to visit the MCFB website.

Living in Harmony

Living in Harmony is based at Pilton Community Health Project and aims to create opportunities for friendships between people from different ethnic communities and to tackle barriers which may prevent people from accessing local services.

NHS ScotlandThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website